Project Excel is a College Preparatory Program designed to help students succeed in high school. We do this by doing the following:
1) Show students the educational resources they need to excel in AP and honors classes, such as going to teacher office hours and the SSC.
2) Help students schedule classes that are valued by Top-Tier Universities like the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Northwestern University, and the University of Chicago. We also help students avoid problem classes that lead to stress and burnout.
3) Help students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and the SAT Subject Tests with premium materials. Most of these materials come straight from the writers of the test. We do this because these tests are still heavily weighted by most colleges (source).
4) Help students create a personal schedule that helps them prioritize academics, activities, clubs, etc.
5) Teach students how to prepare for advanced courses by preparing them in advance using a variety of resources: school textbooks, KhanAcademy, MIT.OCW, Edx, Coursera, ACDCleadership, etc. This early preparation is essential to the success of Excel, since most students who strive in classes like AP Physics 1&2 and AP BC Calculus actually know most of the material in advance. The reason for this is that the aforementioned classes are forced to cram 2-3 years worth of material into just 2 semesters, according to the CollegeBoard (source).
6) Help students navigate the ins and outs of writing college essays, getting letters of recommendations, and obtaining financial aid. Our goal is to have all students attend college debt-free.
7) Give students opportunities to grow their horizon via volunteer and service work.
8) Organize social events with Excel students to ensure that all the students have friendly faces when the enter high school.